Sunday, August 7, 2011

Book 1 Impressions - Blog 2

I finished my first summer reading book, The World According to Garp, by John Irving, and I ended up enjoying it. Throughout, it wasn't a very exciting book, but it became more interesting and easier to read as the book continued on. In the end, it was still just a book about a man's life and death, from start to finish, but it was well enough written to hold my attention and interest me in possibly reading some of John Irving's other novels. One thing about this book that I wasn't necessarily a fan of were the stories within the story. Because the main character of the book is a writer, every once in a while they would give you a short story, or a chapter out of something that the main character had written. I didn't really feel that this was necessary to understand the character or the plot, and it sometimes seemed a distraction to what was really occurring. I did, however, like how the book ended - with an epilogue. The epilogue pretty much just told what happened to every character after the story 'ended', most of the time including their death. Although I don't usually care for epilogues, I felt that this one went into enough detail that it nicely wrapped up the story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment